Men and women age 18 and older that are in good physical condition and have the desire to participate in emergency fire and/or rescue activities are eligible for membership. However, this business is not for everyone. In addition to a desire to help people, you also need courage, dedication, assertiveness, and a willingness to face new challenges. Often, our members are called on to perform hot, sweaty, dirty, strenuous work, sometimes in uncertain and hazardous environments, in all hours of the day and night and in all types of weather conditions.
Making a commitment to serve as a volunteer is a serious decision and involves a strong commitment. Your decision to join us should not be made quickly. You will find that participation as a volunteer member of our department will bring personal rewards and satisfaction, raise self-esteem, and give you a tremendous sense of accomplishment. Participation also requires a strong commitment to the safety of the community and its citizens by constant training and response to emergency calls.
Volunteers participate directly in fire and rescue operations, including incident response and operation of apparatus and equipment. Members must serve one year of probation before receiving full “active” membership status.
Minimum Training Requirements
All approved applicants will be required to complete 36 hours of in house fire training annually.
Probationary members are also required to attend all meetings and training sessions which are held on every Monday.
Volunteer Membership Application Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Clean Criminal History and background checks.
- Must have a valid NC drivers license.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Complete and submit application to fire department by mail, fax or hand delivery.
- Attend two consecutive business meetings and a training session. Business meetings are first Monday of each month at 7:30 p.m. Training Sessions are the first, third, and fourth Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
- After your application has been reviewed and your references verified, you will be contacted by phone to schedule an interview and information meeting.
- Fire Department members will vote on application for volunteer membership at second business meeting which is not attended by applicant, with recommendations from the Grievance Committee.
- If accepted, you will become a probationary member for one year after which you will be voted on for full membership. Membership depends on fire department involvement during probation.